Páginas

Favorite Recipes

Wednesday

what came first?

Van 't Spit Amsterdam
Beer, obviously. The chicken followed a couple of minutes later, cut in pieces, covered by juicy crispy skin. Sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on top and bon appetite!

Ever since Van 't Spit opened its doors, a mere five minute walk from our kitchen, we've been frequent guests. What better meal is there really, than chicken, fries and corn on the cob?

Well...

Chicken piri piri with grilled bimi. 

Bimi, or broccolini, is a rather new* vegetable that was developed by the Sakata Seed Company in the early 90's in Japan. I can't remember ever seeing it -or eating it for that matter- up until a few years ago. In Holland it's now available in most grocery stores. I love it. Love. It. Especially when coated with an ever so thin layer of soy sauce. But in the case of chicken piri piri my master chef (aka Joost) usually grills it. Perfect as a side dish for the spicy dish that is chicken piri piri. Which, by the way, I love even more than bimi. Just FYI.

I'd show you a picture of this delicious dish, but I am unable to do so for two reasons:

  1. I never took a picture of it so far, because I'm eating it once it's in my sight.
  2. Yesterday our oven finally broke down completely. And chicken piri piri is best when it has seen the inside of a hot oven. 

So for the time being, we'll have to make do with Van 't Spit's chicken. Which we'll gladly do so, and probably long after our oven has been fixed. But once the oven is up and running again, I'm sure the first dish we'll make is chicken piri piri, and I'll try to take a picture and let Joost write down the very simple recipe.

* New is, of course, a relative term and for someone who keeps forgetting that the 90's were about twenty years ago, it makes sense to refer to something that has been developed in the early 90's as 'new'.
COMPARTIR POST

No comments:

Silvia de Vries. Todos los derechos reservados. © Maira Gall.